On January 17, 2020 I get an email, text and then a call
from Brad who says "I think this could be the one!" I looked at the pictures and the puppies were
pretty cute and had a lot of qualities we had been looking for. To make a long story short, we decided to go
"see" the puppies to just check them out. I knew it was kind of like going into a candy
shop and not coming out with some candy, nearly impossible. BUT, for some reason, I arranged it and went
anyway. We picked a puppy and planned to
get him the next day which gave us a night to sleep on it. I woke up in the morning with cold feet. I was thinking of all the reasons why we
shouldn't do this right now. Calla is
already at a very busy age, the older kids were busy enough, maybe the money
wasn't best spent right now, I'm currently taking a class at BYUI and Brad and
I are doing a special eating plan right.
I expressed my concerns to Brad and the kids and thought maybe we should
back out. I was met with pleads and
promises of doing this or that and waking up in the night with the puppy.
My life now revolves around what appears to be a cute little
loving puppy. Who actually has a dark
side. Simply put, I thoroughly underestimated
just how hard it is to take care of a puppy and work at training him so he will
one day be a dog we enjoy in addition to my other responsibilities. After some ankle biting, peeing on the floor
right before we try to take him out, then trying to keep Calla from stepping in
it, discovering worms in his poop and standing out in the rain while he finds
the right spot to go to the bathroom and looking into the house to see Calla
watching us and holding a red permanent marker; I feel a little less into the
idea of having a puppy. My chapped and
bleeding hands from puppy biting and regular hand washing between, puppy, baby
and meal prepping are feeling the reality of what we got ourselves into. I felt kind of like the song in Annie called
"Dumb Dog" yesterday.
I was only barely able to look at my homework in the last
couple days and am now sitting in my driveway while the puppy is sleeping in
his crate and Calla is still happily strapped in her car seat after getting
back from taking Holly to the orthodontist typing this post. On my good days I feel a kind of high that
I'm able to do it accompanied by loads of exhaustion but on the bad
days... I threaten to find him a new
home and vent venomously about him to my family along with expressing
frustration about their arguing and complaining about whose turn it is to have
puppy duty who has tons of energy at all the wrong times.
It has all made me think of an analogy. Puppies are like Satan. They look cute and make you want to have them
but once you get to cuddling up with one, they sink their razor teeth into you
until you have regret. Maybe that's a
little extreme but don't put it past me using it as an analogy in a Family Home
Evening one day. For now, I'm currently
looking for an emotional support group for first time puppy owners and taking
one day at a time.



1 comment:
You can do it! He is very cute and one day all the puppy nibbles will be worth the effort you have made in helping him to turn in to a great family dog!
Post a Comment