Maybe it’s a good lesson on second chances or maybe it’s a
lesson on making bad choices over and over again. You decide.
In the last two months, that seemingly feels like forever, I have gotten
myself to compose an ad on Craigslist twice for rehoming our puppy, Copper. The first one only a week and a half after
getting him and the second one about five plus weeks after that. Both times, I couldn’t bring myself to tap
the post button and thought we’d see how the next few days went.
Then Copper almost took ending our relationship into his own
paws. I almost helped him along because
he was so naughty. I heard Calla say “Uh
Oh!” from her high chair and I looked around to see that Copper had snagged her
sock from off her foot and was now resource guarding it. I tried several times chasing him around the
room trying to get him so I could hopefully pry it out of his mouth without
getting bitten. That ended with a big
swallow and an “Uh Oh” from me too. First,
I searched Google. That pretty much sent
me straight to call the vet who said to watch him for now.
Fast forward 24 hours, he throws up in the yard. The kids are worried, I call the vet and they
suggest I take him to the emergency vet since it was the end of their day. With some angst, we took him in. The recommendation: x-rays for $240 and possibly keeping him
overnight to hydrate him and see if that helps it push through his system for
just $1,000. If he didn’t pass it on his
own, then surgery and the price goes up from there. With sticker shock, we decided that since he
was still acting fairly normal and had other good signs, we would chance it and
take him home to watch a little longer.
We left, being the pet parents who didn’t lay down all of their money
for their “baby” and went home.
That night I actually began to worry about him and hope he
was okay rather than think this could be a way out of the puppy chaos in my
life now. Maybe I do have some feeling
in me? We were instructed that if he was
going to pass it, it would be in the next day and if he threw up again to bring
him back. The next morning after the
kids when to school, I was with him when he began to throw up again. My heart sunk a little as I was expecting
this to be bad news. Then out comes
Calla’s sock! I was never so happy to
see something so gross!
With relief I shared the news with my husband and kids who
had prayed that morning that he would poop out the sock. I realized I actually do have feelings for
this dog. Dang! Well, that was until just later that day when
he snagged another sock off of Calla’s foot, which I was able to get back this
time. I think this might have been when I
almost posted the second ad. Maybe it
was better he goes now before we get more attached and then find ourselves in
this same situation again!? Ugh! We now have a no socks on the baby in the
kitchen rule. Who would have known that
was needed? We also upgraded her
highchair security to help us keep some sanity; if that’s possible! So, we continue with him; at least for a few
more days…



No comments:
Post a Comment