
To this:

So, it's official! We've surrendered our California plates and now have a Kentucky license plate on our car (ours says the county that we live in at the bottom). You only need to have a plate on the back of your car here so we debated leaving the California plate on the front so we could still feel like we are Californians. We decided we had to let it go and took it off. We had also debated getting a personalized plate that said "408 REP" to remember where we came from. Then we decided we shouldn't spend the extra money for it since we currently have $0 coming in. So, we took the generic plate that they gave us and now when we accidentally cut someone off (the roads take a little getting used to out here. They are narrow and where you think it should be a bike lane it is actually a lane...whoops... we also had to find new Kentucky auto insurance but don't worry we haven't made any claims and don't plan on making any:) we don't have to feel like we are showing people that California drivers are crazy anymore. We even saved money on the exchange. Our California registration was going to be $56 for this next year and we only had to pay $45 to get our plate and registration through the end of 2009 here.
Oh, and we also got our new Kentucky drivers licenses a few weeks ago. The "DMV" or The County Clerks Office (what they call it here) was a completely different experience from what we've experienced in CA. There were only two people there to help us get our new license, we had no appointment and there was no line. They took our new picture and we left with our new licenses in hand. Oh, and they smiled, laughed, and talked about the weather with us too! I had to go back to the car registration area a few times and 3 out of the 4 times I went there was no wait at all! So, that's one thing that is a little different out here!
4 comments:
i remember when Peter had to give up his BYU license plate for an AZ one...and our experience at a DMV there was unpleasant, but not as bad as when we went to a DMV in CA!!! did you know that we had our socials as our driver's license numbers in AZ??? can't believe they did that. i FINALLY got my new license here in November because i HAD to for our insurance; i was rather reluctant. :) ...have you made a friend yet? i know you have Lisa right nearby but... Holly & Oscar are cute; sure wish we could see them (and you & Brad too). :) Autumn just can't stop talking about Holly since she got her hand-me-down shoes and we got the pics from Brad when he stopped by(which are on the fridge)! i know she'd love to play with Holly...there's been a few times that she's even said she wants to go to KY to see Holly... :) and the past couple of times that Peter's been out of town, she has said that he's been in KY. :) funny, funny......
I am just glad you guys are coming back soon! Can't wait. Wish Peter, April and the kids were going to be here too.
It does take a little gettin' used to. It has gotten now that when I go back to CA to visit, people think I'm weird because I smile and say hello. Their not quite sure what to do. Hope ya'lls doin' all good down there in Lagrange 'witout' us der! Have a good'n goin' back to Cali!
--Thanks guys for all that you are doing and have done for our kiddos at home!
Pretty funny!! Brad will love this...Ben just put Oregon plates on our car here in NY. Basically, we bought a new car in January and Ben decided we could register it in OR (pay no taxes, about a $700 savings) because we weren't really residents of any state. Why not be from OR?? We're mobile students living in a different state every 3 months. Also, my grandma lives there and we used her address. The dealer bought it as well as the state of OR. I thought for sure I was going to be arrested or hugely fined because it took months to go through all the paper work and departments before actually getting the plates. We have been driving around an unregistered car for 5 months now!! - until today. Crazy, huh?
I'm glad you are settling into KY. I'm sure you'll come to love the friendly people! By the way, I know how you feel about keeping up with the blog. I have the same thoughts, but keep going. I'd love to see more pictures of your cute kids!
Post a Comment